

NRC Board Meeting Agenda – November 22, 2019

Welcome - *Chair Barry/President Keeling (12:00 p.m.)*

Call to Order Board Meeting - *Chair Barry (12:01 p.m.)*

Roll Call - *Secretary Pedersen (12:02 p.m.)*

Alphabetical List of Board of Directors:

1. Adrian
2. Anthony
3. Arthur
4. Bantillo - X
5. Barry
6. Butler
7. Collins - X
8. Cooley - X
9. Eckstrom - X
10. Freyer - X
11. Gordon
12. Gjerde
13. Keeling
14. Lichtenstein*
15. Liss* - X
16. Lukacs - X
17. McClellan - X
18. McPoland - X
19. O'Brien
20. Pedersen - X
21. Pitt
22. Pierpont - X
23. Rider - X
24. Rios
25. Rubinstein - X
26. Stockdale
27. Turley

GUESTS:

- Maggie Clarke – X

[October 3, 2019 Board Minutes](#) (September Meeting) **[Motion]**

Dave: Will send list of board members for roll call. (Several members on email list are ex-officio and not included in quorum.) NRC Oct. 25th call is on the website.

Treasurer's Report - *Treasurer Pitt* (12:05)

[November Treasurer's Report](#)

Dave: We have a Treasurer's Report but the treasurer is unavailable so I'll read through it quickly. Unrestricted assets \$50,000. Revenue... Approved a budget. Individual donations. Total assets \$352,000. The majority is restricted funds for the scholarship.

We have had some tax issues. When Margie didn't renew her contract, our bookkeeper retired at the same time. We asked Margie to put together a list of things we need to pay attention to. Tax returns and charitable registrations were not on the list, so we assumed it was taken care of. We were just notified by State of CA and OR that we are delinquent in our registration. And we need our tax returns to do that. Susan, Sarah and Jill have been working with our CPA, who had some health issues, so we missed our extension deadline, which is going to get us in trouble with the IRS. We need the 990s to properly registered in those states. The CPA was an independent shop, and then he joined another firm and was doing this on the side. I can't get a good answer of why it's taken so long—it's not complicated. It's very frustrating. But Susan, myself, Sarah and Jill are trying to get this figured out in all states where we are registered as a charitable organization. A lot of mail is going to our DC mailbox which we haven't used. There are financial implications and implications on the ability to accept donations.

[October NRC Financials](#)

Dave: I've been frustrated with response times with Jill - "Did we pay this invoice?," etc. We are trying to adapt/change our accounting checks & balances. Susan is really good at this and has been working hard. I'd like to see that each of us—Sarah, myself and Susan—gets a report every month on what was taken out, what was paid—so we have a good grasp of our cash flow.

The charitable donation issue is a work in progress. Any questions?

Gary: Do we need the filing with the other states? Have we been getting in a lot of donations from other states? Is this about the "donations" button on our website?

Dave: The donation button was de-activated because of these issues. No, the problem is that Margie thought something we needed on an annual basis—33 states—some are part of a service that you can register and handle multiple states. California is separate. I think it costs \$2,500/year. I am also looking into whether there is a threshold to require that registration—I haven't found that yet. This is an area of confusion for just about every non-profit/charitable foundation—it's a terrible system.

Mick: I'm back on-line now.

Dave: I think we need to analyze where we get the donations from. A lot of charitable foundations say, we won't register until we get a donation. The letter from the CA State Attorney is very serious (dated October)—it's a real mess. I also don't know if memberships are included. So when we ask the CRRA for membership, do we have to be registered for that?

Lynn: I think it varies state-by-state if donations count, but registrations definitely do count!

Dave: It's being complicated by the glacial pace our tax returns are getting done. Our tax return CPA is figuring out what our implications are for missing our extension. I asked Sarah to work with Jill to see if we've paid the CPA for his services, and Sarah is trying to find correspondence between the attorney who does the registrations, on when they paid and when they performed services—or why weren't we notified? Another fire to put out! We are working diligently to put it out.

Marialyce: I think we may need to pay and find a new CPA if this one is lagging so long.

Dave: My sister is a CPA, but I want to avoid conflict-of-interest. We are looking at other options. We did have a proposal from another CPA firm that our old tax return CPA recommended, but I don't know...Susan and I have to talk about this. Nina suggested we get numerous bids.

Chantal: There is a local non-profit CPA in Columbia, SC.

Dave: Okay, we are based in CO, with a mailing address in NY so it's complicated. But forward to me and Susan.

President's Report - *President Keeling* (12:20 p.m.)

1. President's Report
2. [NRC Board Commitment Letter](#)
3. [NRC Director/Officer Conflict of Interest Policy Statement](#)

Dave: Thank you to those who have signed the Board Commitment Letter and Conflict of Interest Statement. Those of you who haven't—please do so.

Steve Alexander wants to work with NRC, wants to get us involved in (Resource Recycling, Austin, mid-August—10th-12th, earlier) conference planning process. He would like a list of ideas on ways to boost attendance.

We've talked about having Jack DeBell reinvigorate the college campus relationship, which brings more young people. We are also going to focus on training of attendees. Less policy, more marketing and training. Also, the Military Council was pretty active back in the day, which I mentioned to Steve. CTRA, one of our affiliates in Texas, is merging with Keep Texas

Beautiful—“Keep Texas Recycling”. I sit on that board as well and that may be a chance to re kick-start that. The Buy Recycled people came to that conference as well.

As background, APR purchased the Resource Recycling conference. They host the electronics and plastics conferences, which are huge. Like his predecessor Jerry Powell, they say they are losing \$120,000/year on this conference.

Not only The Recycling Partnership, they want a ROC representative to be involved. The ROC is the key to getting additional attendees from around the country. ISRI will also be involved in the conference, and in planning. He wants the NRC involved. Obviously, money is an issue. Please provide ideas on how to enhance the conference and the NRC’s relevance to it.

We did have an Executive Conference call last week. The InfoExchange, the partnership with More Recycling, is on the NRC site now. The widget from More was placed there with no changes. Board members expressed concerns on the lack of disclaimer recognizing the American Chemistry Council’s involvement. We are aware that there needs to be something.

Nina agrees that there should be a disclaimer and will work with me, Marialyce and Dave. Another concern is some board members thought the MOU was ambiguous. We made sure protections, waivers, for NRC was in there, and that we would not owe More if we did not receive sponsorship.

I received a message from Nina: “More staff has been working on the RMDP. The InfoExchange is embedded. We are working through the final Impact Tracker. I look forward to sharing it with the NRC Board in the upcoming weeks. I will send a new MOU prior, explaining member benefits.

Nina is cognizant of issues and wants to make sure that the qualification process is air-tight and not a “pay to play” arrangement. I think we are on the same page on the disclaimer and concerns about why we’re certifying or not. We’ll see with the new MOU and platform. It is a pretty exciting thing, so I’ll leave it at that.

The other issue we talked about was to make sure we had a Succession Plan. We reviewed the by-laws, so if I have to resign due to a new work assignment, then Stephen Bantillo will preside over a new election for president. If I’m not able to continue as a Board Member, the new president will appoint a board member to take my place. I encourage the members of the ExComm to have conversations with other board members.

I’ve had a second interview, one totally out of recycling, one in. I’ve expressed my potential benefits of being NRC President.

Any questions on the platform, the disclaimer? Anyone want to be president?

Board Business (12:30 p.m.)

1. NRC Strategic Plan

Mick: I suggest we move the Strategic Plan to the end so we have time to handle some motions. Stephen and Fran?

- [Strategic Plan Draft](#)
- [Annual Retreat Minutes](#)
- [Annual Retreat Matrix](#)

2. Succession Planning

Committee Reports (1:15 p.m.)

1. Policy Committee (*Bantillo/McPoland*)

Stephen: The Policy Committee has met and a lot of important bills are out there. The Udall/Lowenthal, dealing with single-use plastics, the Recover act (Save our Seas) and _____. The one we're paying attention to most, as it's most likely to survive. Basically it's a heavy lift for us, a lot to review. It boils down to EPR and a bottle bill/container deposits. We are looking for volunteers to participate on a group Task Force to do some additional review and bring a variety of perspectives to inform our comments. The deadline has passed but it's going to be sticking around, but we can still submit comments. Looking for local gov, hauling experience, live in a bottle bill state and interest in EPR and materials.

Marialyce: I am interested.

Stephen: Email me and Fran if you're interested.

Barb: Along those lines, I don't know if we got confirmation of what committees we are on?

Mick: I will summarize and send that out soon.

Wayne: What is the deadline to submit comments?

Fran: I think it's a little open-ended. They may introduce the bill with comments they currently have.

Wayne: I had a conversation with someone from ABA (Bottlers' Association). They were like, there's nothing going on with deposits—we don't think anything is happening!

Fran: It's almost irrelevant (deadlines)—do I think anything is going to pass this year and get signed by the president? I would not bet my house on that; maybe the dog. However, this becomes a starting point for next year, or for the next Congress, or the one after that. So it's important to have a real thorough discussion. Four bills are winding their way through now. The Portman bill that Stephen referenced SB 2941, was introduced today, a bi-partisan bill. That bill has a lot of language about education and getting money to communities to educate. How big an issue do you think that is is going to be important. It also has language on the federal agencies and getting them educated on what's in the Section 6002 of RCRA and Comprehensive

Procurement Guidelines. (I have a great deal of interest in that.) It's really important that we have a sub-committee working with the Policy group, to gin up where the NRC is on these individual issues.

The other bill that Stephen is talking about...I was at meetings in DC, as were a lot of others from NRC. It was referred to as a "kitchen sink" bill—a lot of issues all in one bill.

Dave: The Policy Committee is structured where Stephen and Fran are the Board Members. So Fran is talking about a sub-committee.

Stephen: A reminder again, email Fran and myself if you're interested.

Mick: Any other discussions for the Policy group?

Dave: I've heard there are concerns, maybe ill-will, on the bottle bill position process. I'd like to see NRC work with ROCs and Bob Bylone, to develop a process on how to obtain input. That process will solve a lot of ill feelings.

Mick: Please get your interest to Fran or Stephen or both.

2. Markets Committee (*Freyer/Gjerde*)

- [Market Development Report](#)

Wayne: Did we submit a report? We met a couple of times, laid out potential places we could have market workshops or be affiliated with...KAB Feb 20th; Memphis; also San Diego Zero Waste (continuation of November workshop). NRC/SWANA we are reaching out. ISRI—we are also reaching out. And then, David's been talking to Steve Alexander about RRC/NRC conference, and in late October, there's talk of a SERDC meeting. Then, way down there, we're already stretched to the limit, so I'm not sure about the Michigan conference in late Fall.

Barb: Resa Domino spoke at the NY State of Recycling Associations. The result was extremely favorable—both NYSAR and NY Dept of Conservation want to help with that. They don't need any money. That conference is in November in Otesaga Hotel in NY. If we're open to considering, I recommend it.

Wayne: We really did that on a shoestring. We are having an effect out there, although these are not money-makers. Our goal is to break even or make money, but there's also...if other people want to join the Markets Committee, Chantal and I and others are bursting at the seams.

Dave: Chantal, myself and Wayne have been talking about how we've been putting time and money into attending these events. They've been successful because of these efforts. We've talked about maybe switching to webinars. My concern is we just got the partnership with the EPA—they announced at the ARD event—that they are partnering with the NRC. So we need to allow Chantal and Wayne to Skype into presenting at these events. If the workshop is in your

area, think about your ability to do a presentation—taking Wayne’s and Chantal’s information—to deliver it and take pressure off of them.

The February Zero Waste event—we get the morning, they get the afternoon. Registration goes to them. We get 75% of sponsors we attract. So it’s a good situation for us. KAB has a date conflict. The SWANA thing—the EPA brought this to us. I have emailed Chuck Carr at ISRI—I think that will be a revenue generator without a lot of expense. STAR is interested in doing an update on their state, so we are talking with RRC. The SERDC/NERC in 2020 is still up in the air; they are considering a joint conference, possibly with NRC. The Michigan thing—it’s the State of Michigan—they would like to do something. It’s a lot of activities, a lot of workshops. Hopefully the purse-strings will open up and we’ll get sponsorships. I think they are worthwhile programs—this is the NRC’s niche—Market Development. If we back off, someone else will take our place.

Wayne: I got an email from AmeriPen, saying they would be doing market development. They wanted to develop capacity at the state level for corporations. I said we’re halfway down the road—why don’t we partner up? We made it really clear that we own this real estate, so they would just be duplicating. They agreed to bring it to their board. AmeriPen...they have a lot of major corporations—Lee Anderson from General Mills—one of our local Fortune 500 cos. Also Target, other who’s who’s. I think it’s an opportunity to help our fundraisers. I will follow up on Monday and let the ExecComm know what’s going on. I think it would be a good thing—I hate to say “reduce the competition,” but bring people to us and increase our power.

Dave: When you reach out to Kyla, emphasize our partnership with US EPA, RRS, Circular Matters, our whole slate of workshops. They are talking about more of a legislative approach.

I had a conversation with AmeriPen Board President Lee. He backs up what you are saying.

Wayne: Regarding travel, it’s the money thing, not the time—if there’s a way to reduce my travel costs, I’m certainly available. I’ll submit a travel proposal for 2020—they’ve been allowing me about \$5 grand in travel. Better if they waive \$800 conference fees.

Dave: RR wants to be our media partner, so we want to get some dates nailed down. It’s a very good, very active committee. This is a good committee. We have calls every week.

Wayne: We will make you work.

Dave: Chantal is talking about taking a half hour so we can educate ourselves about markets. I encourage everyone to let Wayne and Chantal know. Thank you for all your hard work. We are moving the needle and people know about it!

Wayne: With our desire to look at BRBA revival, this might be a good component of this discussion. Target was a leader when we had this. What do we get besides a good feeling?

Fran: I wanted to send a big, big thank you to Chantal. Last week at ARD, in front of EPA and Hill and EPA Admin staff and at least one regional admin, Chantal gave a great shout-out to the

NRC's Markets program. I realized that day—three or four of us from NRC were there—I'm not sure we ever signed EPA's ARD pledge—it may have gotten lost in the transition.

Dave: Margie signed it—last year!

Gary: I'd suggest asking ROCs to present NRC message to be part of all RO conferences, having the NRC message. That would rapidly expand our reach without much cost of time or effort.

We just presented the draft Baltimore Zero Waste Plan, so we have lots of contacts there.

Dave: Let's hold off on the AmeriPen for a few weeks—more information will follow.

Wayne: It sounds like their budgets are tight.

Mick: Any more questions for Markets?

3. Conference Committee (*Lukacs/Liss*)

- [Conference Committee Report](#) [Motions]

Gary: (Sharing screen) The conference is in high gear right now. Thank you for your contributions. We have a lot going on. There are three little things particularly requested in a motion, dealing with promotional media sponsors, registration and NRC Board Meeting.

The combination fee with NCRA...we've gone through elaborate discussions. People who sign up for NCRA first and then NRC will get a \$55 discount off the NRC conference, which provides impetus to go to both the Recycling Update and the NRC conference. GAIA also requested a group rate so I responded with suggesting a similar \$55 discount for that group (for early birds, Dec. 18th). Cooperating organizations—Amanda Watta has been doing a great job of reaching out to Minneapolis workshop attendees. I've also asked her to reach out to RO's individually. If anyone has suggestions of other cooperative organizations, let me know.

The registration contractor has done all his work. His payment may be tied up with NRC financial mess, so I hope he can be paid because he did a great job.

I patched those who've registered—most are speakers/comps—so we're encouraging everyone to register now, and to help reach out to others. Registrations build sponsors. There's a big Gamers conference that's gobbling up hotel space. Leslie Lukacs has been arranging a room block at the Shattuck—just 10-15 rooms. We would be locking in a minimal number, covered by board members and speakers. We think most will do Air Bn'B, etc. Leslie has been following up with the hotel and can provide more details.

The negotiations on the Student Union with Alec has been handed off to Lin King—a \$4,400 bill—we are considering that as a sponsorship. NRCA is organizing a dance on Wednesday, when we were thinking of having our board meeting—so I'm suggesting that move to Monday.

On program and speakers, we have 40 confirmed. Those were posted to the conference website. Others are now contacting us to speak as well. We are encouraging “topic dinners” at local restaurants.

Other events during Zero Waste Week are being promoted by NRCA. We’ve been talking to Susan Collins about doing a Container Recycling workshop on best practices for bottle bills. Mary got promotional materials out to Board members—really great to feel like there’s a team behind this.

We’ve identified topics to focus on every two weeks. We ask that you add to your signature lines, “Register,” preferably by early bird deadline, Dec. 18th. We are halfway to our \$25,000 sponsorship goal. The \$7,500 from TRP was significant. I’ve asked Alec to follow up with Dylan McThomas. We are doing pretty well—Leslie got \$2,500 from Sonoma County.

Leslie: For Board sponsors, we have over 10 sponsors, over \$1,000. If you want to donate, I’ll add you to the list.

Gary: There is a list to the master fundraising (potential sponsors) list—if you could sign up to contact one or two that you know, it would be really great. This is one of the best products we have to sell at this time! This is really tangible, really significant.

The Board and ROC meetings are included in our program. I’m now recommending Monday afternoon. We had talked about having a ROC meeting—we used to have mid-year ROC meetings—so that would bring this back. I think it’s critical that we do something like this.

I had taken notes about the proposal for a Recycling Congress with RR. If APR wants RR to succeed, they could use this. There are ideas in there that may take a year. These are ideas that are substantive—to have a real partnership with APR. The Military stuff is not just military—the NRC had all federal agencies involved. They brought it 500-1000 people—a huge part of National Recycling Congress in the past—huge opportunities there. I’d like to have a separate meeting about the RR 2020 and beyond conferences. Dave, now that you’ve talked to Steve, it would be great to set up a separate call. The KAB conference as well.

I’d like to make a motion to approve the actions, to approve the Conference Committee to approve marketing, adjust registration fees and set a board meeting at March 16th, 2-5. I have reached out to BioCycle, WasteDive and RR. BioCycle is indicating interest in a media sponsorship. For RR, we’ve reached out to Dan Leaf. I still have concerns about where we are relative to APR and the RR. I think we need to preserve the National Recycling Congress if they don’t provide an adequate role for NRC.

Dave: Mr. Chair, can Gary make the motion?

No.

Leslie: I’ll make the motion.

Alec: I second.

Dave: If the motion is approved, watch the bottom line with the deals you negotiate—you know the NRC's financial situation.

Mick: I would make a friendly amendment that any budget changes be formalized.

Leslie: Yes. And our speaker comps are day-of only, not the whole conference.

Mick: Do you accept the amendment (to watch the bottom line).

Mick: Discussion? Approve, abstain? Motion passes.

Leslie: I did reduce our room block to 10 rooms with a 75% attrition rate. Hopefully we will have the hotel on our website next week. Please get your rooms right away if you're interested. Room rate is good until mid-February.

Wayne: Is the hotel close to the conference? What's around the neighborhood? Any other discussions for the Conference Committee?

4. Communications Committee (*O'Brien/McClellan*)

- [Communications Committee Report](#)

Mary: After this report, is the plan to discuss the Strategic Plan?

The main thing we need to talk about is a Google form (NRC Event Information) we've put together to compile event information. We've received a lot of requests for help, so this form helps us streamline event information. For example, for Market Dev workshops—any key regional information to support this; logistics, parking, etc. Speakers, bios, files to upload, logos, etc. Also we have a place to put Twitter, FB or newsletter info. This is what we'd like to implement. It'd be great to get on every planning call so this was our answer to streamline.

I would like to open up discussions on the form. Are we okay with it?

Marialyce: Thank you.

Mary: My goal is that this is the expectation of what is used when we partner with STAR and other orgs, we would send this form.

Bob: May I put the link on the website?

Mary: I think it's an internal document. We would send it after an initial verbal discussion.

Mary: Chantal, Karen and I had intended to create a pretty Strategic Plan document. This is the visual representation of what we discussed/decided in August at our Retreat. In addition to the

notes and organization that Marialyce did, we would like to propose that we have this heading document to precede these notes as a clear communication of our priorities.

We provided an interpretation of our long term goals, and five main focus areas: Education, ROs, Policy, Market Development and Membership. We consolidated the different task that Marialyce noted. (Mary summarizes the table.) Please read and think about this and provide your input.

I will share that I did share this draft with the ROC in the meeting on Wednesday, as they really wanted an update on the Strat Plan. We got some very good feedback; they were very pleased that ROC/NRC relations was on this and that we'd discussed it a lot. Constructive criticism that ROC members shared is that perhaps it's too much. In their opinion there was so much on here, they'd like us to focus on accomplish-able, measurable goals! But many of these things are underway already. But I think it's important to have this out there. The ROC suggesting polling the board on which of the 15 strategies are our priorities, and narrow them down to the top 1-2 strategies. I'd like to open it up for discussion.

We'll send out a survey—already created by Karen—and then work on a draft that reflects those priorities and hopefully vote on implementing an official Strat Plan in December.

Gary: I think you could do the polling, or just do the consolidating—policy and policy feedback could be consolidated into one. It doesn't include the review and comment on existing policies. I would try to look at us doing consolidation. You could do the poll to be responsive to the ROC but the goal could be accomplished by consolidating the two.

On Education, I think we should say “through workshops, conferences and training” and we have a whole National Standards Cert Board. The conference, we're doing RR and the workshops.

Maggie: There were two items discussed in the Retreat—the public membership idea—where does that fall here? The other was about Advocacy—more lobbying, discussing things more with politicians, legislative creation, etc. Not sure if that's on here before.

Mary: Everything that specific is in Marialyce's notes. That might fall under Membership. It might make sense to kick items on Marialyce's task list to the committees in charge of those areas, or multiple if there's cross-over. I think the committees should identify which ideas they can focus on and accomplish. Marialyce's list is very, very long.

Marialyce: I was trying to show in my matrix all the potential cross-over opportunities.

Gary: There are some things with ROC that could be inflammatory so those should be kept internal. I appreciate the work on this matrix.

Wayne: A reminder that we need to do our homework. All our committees can study this draft plan and Marialyce's matrix, and hone in on what they want to accomplish.

Any further comments?

ROC Update - *Amy Roth* (if available) (1:50 p.m.)

Wayne: Anyone from ROC? (No.)

Other Business - *Chair Barry/President Keeling* (1:55 p.m.)

NRC Members and Public Comment - *Chair Barry/President Keeling* (1:57 p.m.)

Wayne: Next meeting, 20th of December.

Call for Adjournment [Motion] - *Chair Barry/President Keeling* (2:00 p.m.)

Stephen: Motion to adjourn.

Wayne: Second.

###